Jump to Main Content
- Dennis, Brian; Kemp, William P
- Plos One 2016 v.11 no.2 pp. e0150055
- risk, etc ; Apoidea; adults; apiculture; carrying capacity; climate change; ecological resilience; environmental factors; honey bee colonies; honey bees; mathematical models; mites; mortality; pathogens; pesticides; social behavior; swarms; viability; Show all 18 Subjects
- ... We construct a mathematical model to quantify the loss of resilience in collapsing honey bee colonies due to the presence of a strong Allee effect. In the model, recruitment and mortality of adult bees have substantial social components, with recruitment enhanced and mortality reduced by additional adult bee numbers. The result is an Allee effect, a net per-individual rate of hive increase that in ...
- Data from: How Hives Collapse: Allee Effects, Ecological Resilience, and the Honey Bee
- PubMed Central: