Jump to Main Content
- S. Diamandis; C. Perlerou; Z. Nakopoulou; V. Christopoulos; E. Topalidou; G. Tziros
- Acta horticulturae 2014 no.1043 pp. 23-34
- Castanea; Cryphonectria parasitica; biological control; coppicing; forests; fungi; horticulture; human resources; inoculum; orchards; silvicultural practices; tree age; viruses; Greece
- ... Since 1963 when chestnut blight was recorded for the first time in Greece, the disease has spread into all 29 chestnut growing prefectures. As a result the national, annual chestnut production was reduced from 18,000 tons in the 1960s to 11,000 tons in 2005. A project for the application of biological control on a nationwide scale was funded and implemented during the period 2007-2009. Hypovirulen ...
- M. C. Manetti; F. Pelleri; C. Becagli; M. Conedera; P. Schleppi; A. Zingg
- Acta horticulturae 2014 no.1043 pp. 121-128
- harvesting; thinning (plants); canopy; evolution; coppicing; Cynipidae; industry; leaf area index; trees; Cervus elaphus; timber production; Castanea; growth performance; tree damage; Italy; Switzerland
- ... In this contribution we present the results of a Swiss-Italian joint sylvicultural experiment to verify if and how the single-tree-oriented silviculture can be applied to chestnut coppices to enhance timber production for industry and structural timber. The study was carried out in five 7 to 17 years old, pure chestnut coppice stands growing on sites of medium to good fertility in central Italy an ...