Jump to Main Content
- Gilabert-Porres, Joan; Martí, Sara; Calatayud, Laura; Ramos, Victor; Rosell, Antoni; Borrós, Salvador
- ACS applied materials 2016 v.8 no.1 pp. 64-73
- Gram-negative bacteria; antibacterial properties; bacterial colonization; bacterial infections; coatings; cytotoxicity; hydrophobicity; methodology; patients; polydimethylsiloxane; prostheses; salts; silver; sugars; vapors; viability
- ... Nowadays there is an increasing focus for avoiding bacterial colonization in a medical device after implantation. Bacterial infection associated with prosthesis implantation, or even along the lifetime of the implanted prosthesis, entails a serious problem, emphasized with immunocompromised patients. This work shows a new methodology to create highly hydrophobic micro-/nanostructured silver antiba ...
- Rtimi, Sami; Sanjines, Rosendo; Pulgarin, Cesar; Kiwi, John
- ACS applied materials 2016 v.8 no.1 pp. 47-55
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy; catheters; coatings; copper; cytotoxicity; hydrophilicity; hydrophobicity; ions; irradiation; mass spectrometry; oxides; polyurethanes; semiconductors; silver
- ... The first evidence for Cu–Ag (50%/50%) nanoparticulate hybrid coatings is presented leading to a complete and almost instantaneous bacterial inactivation in the dark (≤5 min). Dark bacterial inactivation times on Cu–Ag (50%/50%) were observed to coincide with the times required by actinic light irradiation. This provides the evidence that the bimetal Cu–Ag driven inactivation predominates over a C ...