Jump to Main Content
- Foo, Guo Shiou; Van Pelt, Adam H.; Krötschel, Daniel; Sauk, Benjamin F.; Rogers, Allyson K.; Jolly, Cayla R.; Yung, Matthew
M.; Sievers, Carsten
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 1934-1942
- activated carbon; van der Waals forces; glucose; sulfuric acid; cellobiose; catalysts; sulfonic acids; hydrolysis; sorption isotherms; adsorption
- ... Activated carbon is functionalized by different treatments with sulfuric acid and hot liquid water and used as catalyst for the hydrolysis of cellobiose in a continuously operated fixed bed reactor. Characterization results reveal that the chemically treated materials are more disordered with a lower degree of graphitization, while adsorption isotherms demonstrate that van der Waals forces dominat ...
- Fábos, Viktória; Lui, Matthew Y.; Mui, Yiu Fung; Wong, Yuet Yan; Mika, László T.; Qi, Long; Cséfalvay, Edit; Kovács, Viktória; Szűcs, Tibor; Horváth, István T.
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 1899-1904
- ammonia; ammonium sulfate; catalysts; charcoal; dioxane; ethanol; formic acid; glass; lamps; levulinic acid; neutralization; odors; smoke; sulfuric acid; volatile organic compounds
- ... The sulfuric acid-catalyzed conversion of paper wastes in gamma-valerolactone (GVL) or dioxane leads to the formation of levulinic acid (LA) and formic acid (FA), which can be converted to GVL by transfer-hydrogenation using the Shvo catalyst in situ or separately. The isolation of LA and FA was assisted by the neutralization of the sulfuric acid with ammonia to form a biphasic system. While the a ...