Jump to Main Content
- Foo, Guo Shiou; Van Pelt, Adam H.; Krötschel, Daniel; Sauk, Benjamin F.; Rogers, Allyson K.; Jolly, Cayla R.; Yung, Matthew
M.; Sievers, Carsten
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 1934-1942
- activated carbon; van der Waals forces; glucose; sulfuric acid; cellobiose; catalysts; sulfonic acids; hydrolysis; sorption isotherms; adsorption
- ... Activated carbon is functionalized by different treatments with sulfuric acid and hot liquid water and used as catalyst for the hydrolysis of cellobiose in a continuously operated fixed bed reactor. Characterization results reveal that the chemically treated materials are more disordered with a lower degree of graphitization, while adsorption isotherms demonstrate that van der Waals forces dominat ...
- Ahmad Alyosef, Hallah; Schneider, Denise; Wassersleben, Susan; Roggendorf, Hans; Weiß, Michael; Eilert, André; Denecke, Reinhard; Hartmann, Ingo; Enke, Dirk
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 2012-2021
- Miscanthus; X-radiation; X-ray diffraction; adsorption; agricultural wastes; biomass; carbon; combustion; drying; energy crops; fluorescence; furnaces; heat treatment; macropores; mercury; microstructure; nitrogen; organic compounds; pellets; porous media; scanning electron microscopy; silica; sulfuric acid; temperature; thermal analysis; washing; wheat straw
- ... In the present study, the possibility of extracting biogenic silica from various European biomass materials was investigated. High-purity biogenic silica (>90 wt % SiO₂) was obtained from energy crops (miscanthus), agro wastes (wheat straw), and other crop residues (cereal remnant pellets). Three different morphological forms of biogenic silica materials (ash) were obtained by a thermo-chemical tr ...