Jump to Main Content
- Lau, Ching-Shuan; Bunnell, Kris; Carrier, Danielle Julie
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 2030-2035
- Panicum virgatum; enzymatic hydrolysis; fermentation; formic acid; furfural; hemicellulose; manufacturing; models; sulfuric acid; temperature; xylose
- ... Switchgrass hemicellulose can be converted into sugars, such as xylose, for biobased product manufacturing. However, during pretreatment, the hemicellulose can also be converted into xylose oligomers, furfural and formic acid, which are detrimental to subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis and fermentation. Pretreatment conditions that maximize xylose production from hemicellulose, while also minimizing ...
- Fábos, Viktória; Lui, Matthew Y.; Mui, Yiu Fung; Wong, Yuet Yan; Mika, László T.; Qi, Long; Cséfalvay, Edit; Kovács, Viktória; Szűcs, Tibor; Horváth, István T.
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 1899-1904
- ammonia; ammonium sulfate; catalysts; charcoal; dioxane; ethanol; formic acid; glass; lamps; levulinic acid; neutralization; odors; smoke; sulfuric acid; volatile organic compounds
- ... The sulfuric acid-catalyzed conversion of paper wastes in gamma-valerolactone (GVL) or dioxane leads to the formation of levulinic acid (LA) and formic acid (FA), which can be converted to GVL by transfer-hydrogenation using the Shvo catalyst in situ or separately. The isolation of LA and FA was assisted by the neutralization of the sulfuric acid with ammonia to form a biphasic system. While the a ...