Jump to Main Content
- Lau, Ching-Shuan; Bunnell, Kris; Carrier, Danielle Julie
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 2030-2035
- Panicum virgatum; enzymatic hydrolysis; fermentation; formic acid; furfural; hemicellulose; manufacturing; models; sulfuric acid; temperature; xylose
- ... Switchgrass hemicellulose can be converted into sugars, such as xylose, for biobased product manufacturing. However, during pretreatment, the hemicellulose can also be converted into xylose oligomers, furfural and formic acid, which are detrimental to subsequent enzymatic hydrolysis and fermentation. Pretreatment conditions that maximize xylose production from hemicellulose, while also minimizing ...
- Ahmad Alyosef, Hallah; Schneider, Denise; Wassersleben, Susan; Roggendorf, Hans; Weiß, Michael; Eilert, André; Denecke, Reinhard; Hartmann, Ingo; Enke, Dirk
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 2012-2021
- Miscanthus; X-radiation; X-ray diffraction; adsorption; agricultural wastes; biomass; carbon; combustion; drying; energy crops; fluorescence; furnaces; heat treatment; macropores; mercury; microstructure; nitrogen; organic compounds; pellets; porous media; scanning electron microscopy; silica; sulfuric acid; temperature; thermal analysis; washing; wheat straw
- ... In the present study, the possibility of extracting biogenic silica from various European biomass materials was investigated. High-purity biogenic silica (>90 wt % SiO₂) was obtained from energy crops (miscanthus), agro wastes (wheat straw), and other crop residues (cereal remnant pellets). Three different morphological forms of biogenic silica materials (ash) were obtained by a thermo-chemical tr ...