Jump to Main Content
- Soetedjo, J. N.
M.; van de Bovenkamp, H. H.; Deuss, P. J.; Heeres, H. J.
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2017 v.5 no.5 pp. 3993-4001
- activation energy; additives; biofuels; catalysts; formic acid; fructose; hydrochloric acid; hydroxymethylfurfural; levulinic acid; polymers; psicose; sorbose; sulfuric acid; tagatose
- ... Biobased furanics like 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (5-HMF) are interesting platform chemicals for the synthesis of biofuel additives and polymer precursors. 5-HMF is typically prepared from C6 ketoses like fructose, psicose, sorbose and tagatose. A known byproduct is 2-hydroxyacetylfuran (2-HAF), particularly when using sorbose and psicose as the reactants. We here report an experimental and kinetic m ...
- PubMed Central:
- Fábos, Viktória; Lui, Matthew Y.; Mui, Yiu Fung; Wong, Yuet Yan; Mika, László T.; Qi, Long; Cséfalvay, Edit; Kovács, Viktória; Szűcs, Tibor; Horváth, István T.
- ACS sustainable chemistry 2015 v.3 no.9 pp. 1899-1904
- ammonia; ammonium sulfate; catalysts; charcoal; dioxane; ethanol; formic acid; glass; lamps; levulinic acid; neutralization; odors; smoke; sulfuric acid; volatile organic compounds
- ... The sulfuric acid-catalyzed conversion of paper wastes in gamma-valerolactone (GVL) or dioxane leads to the formation of levulinic acid (LA) and formic acid (FA), which can be converted to GVL by transfer-hydrogenation using the Shvo catalyst in situ or separately. The isolation of LA and FA was assisted by the neutralization of the sulfuric acid with ammonia to form a biphasic system. While the a ...