Jump to Main Content
- Vázquez, Antonio A.; Sánchez, Jorge; Alba, Annia; Martínez, Elizabeth; Alvarez-Lajonchere, Luis; Matamoros, Michel; Coupland, James B.
- Acta tropica 2018 v.185 pp. 63-68
- longevity, etc ; Achatina fulica; Parastrongylus cantonensis; eggs; humans; invasive species; life history; meningoencephalitis; models; mortality; parasites; population dynamics; probability; sexual maturity; snails; Cuba; Show all 16 Subjects
- ... The giant African snail Lissachatina fulica has been reported invading Cuba since 2014 and is now well established in areas of Havana and several nearby regions. This invasive species is of major concern to health authorities given its role as an important vector of parasites such as Angiostrongylus cantonensis, the causative agent of eosinophilic meningoencephalitis in humans. Here, we update the ...
- Oliver, Shüné V.; Brooke, Basil D.
- Acta tropica 2018 v.188 pp. 152-160
- longevity, etc ; Anopheles arabiensis; DDT (pesticide); agrochemicals; aquatic invertebrates; atrazine; catalase; cytochrome P-450; deltamethrin; enzyme activity; glutathione transferase; glyphosate; groundwater; imagos; insect vectors; insecticide resistance; larvae; life history; malathion; mortality; phenotype; pupation; reactive oxygen species; water pollution; xenobiotics; Southern Africa; Show all 26 Subjects
- ... Herbicides, such as atrazine and glyphosate, are common agrochemicals known to pollute surface ground water. As such, aquatic invertebrates associated with agricultural activities can be exposed to varying doses of these xenobiotics. Anopheles arabiensis, a major malaria vector species in southern Africa, is often closely associated with agricultural activities. This study aimed to examine the eff ...