Jump to Main Content
- Geistlinger, Helmut; Mohammadian, Sadjad
- Advances in water resources 2015 v.79 pp. 35-50
- Monte Carlo method; X-radiation; gases; glass; imbibition; mathematical theory; porosity; prediction; surface area; tomography; trapping; water resources
- ... To understand capillary trapping mechanism, we conduct a real Monte-Carlo experiment by using packed glass beads with nearly the same pore size distribution, but different stochastic realizations. We study gas phase trapping during imbibition for capillary numbers from 2×10−7 to 10−6 using X-ray micro tomography and compare the experimental results with predictions from percolation theory. We foun ...
- Herring, Anna L.; Andersson, Linnéa; Schlüter, Steffen; Sheppard, Adrian; Wildenschild, Dorthe
- Advances in water resources 2015 v.79 pp. 91-102
- X-radiation; air; carbon dioxide; carbon sequestration; engineering; imbibition; porous media; potassium iodide; sandstone; topology; trapping; water resources
- ... We investigate trapping of a nonwetting (NW) phase, air, within Bentheimer sandstone cores during drainage–imbibition flow experiments, as quantified on a three dimensional (3D) pore-scale basis via x-ray computed microtomography (X-ray CMT). The wetting (W) fluid in these experiments was deionized water doped with potassium iodide (1:6 by weight). We interpret these experiments based on the capil ...