Jump to Main Content
- Thackeray, S.R.; Moore, S.D.; Kirkman, W.; Hill, M.P.
- African entomology 2017 v.25 no.2 pp. 474-480
- Ectomyelois ceratoniae; Nosema; artificial diets; crops; head; insects; instars; larvae; mass rearing; mortality; neonates; pecans; pests; pupae; South Africa
- ... Ectomyeolis ceratoniae Zeller (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae), carob moth, is a pest of several crops in South Africa. A laboratory culture was established from field-collected larvae infesting mummified pecan nuts. Biological parameters of larvae reared on an artificial diet were measured. The insect goes through five larval instars, and the head capsule sizes of the five instars were determined to be ≤ ...
- Saccaggi, D.L.; Ueckermann, E.A.; Toit, I. du; Ngubane-Ndhlovu, N.P.
- African entomology 2017 v.25 no.2 pp. 523-528
- Brevipalpus lewisi; Citrus; Trombidiformes; Vitis; crops; ecology; mites; national surveys; pests; South Africa
- ... The presence of Brevipalpus lewisi (Trombidiformes: Tenuipalpidae) is reported from South Africa for the first time. Previously this mite was a listed phytosanitary pest to South Africa, and entry of infested goods was prohibited. During a country-wide survey, B. lewisi was found on grapevine in the Western Cape and Northern Cape provinces. It has not been found in other provinces or on other crop ...