Jump to Main Content
- Ravhuhali, Khuliso E; Mlambo, Victor; Beyene, Tefera S; Palamuleni, Lobina G
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 67-70
- Cymbopogon pospischilii; Eragrostis; Urochloa mosambicensis; acid insoluble lignin; crude protein; ecosystems; genetic variation; grasses; growth habit; indigenous species; leaf width; leaves; maturity stage; nutritive value; rangeland restoration; rangelands; rumen fermentation; tillers; South Africa
- ... The comparative growth habits and nutritive value of native grass species of South Africa are largely unknown despite the utility of this information in rangeland restoration efforts. This article presents a comparative characterisation of the morphology, chemical composition and in vitro ruminal fermentation of Urochloa mosambicensis, Cymbopogon pospischilii, Eragrostis superba, Fingerhuthia afri ...
- Trytsman, Marike; Masemola, Elizabeth L; Müller, Francuois L; Calitz, Frikkie J; van Wyk, Abraham E
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 27-40
- coasts; grasses; herbaria; hills; indigenous species; legumes; pastures; phosphorus; plant genetic resources; savannas; soil; Eswatini; Lesotho; South Africa
- ... In contrast to the exploration and use of southern African grass plant genetic resources over the past century, only a few indigenous legume species are currently used as forages, notwithstanding the vast untapped legume diversity available in southern Africa. The aim of this study was to assess legumes, indigenous to South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland and propose a list of species with pasture p ...