Jump to Main Content
- Trytsman, Marike; Masemola, Elizabeth L; Müller, Francuois L; Calitz, Frikkie J; van Wyk, Abraham E
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 27-40
- coasts; grasses; herbaria; hills; indigenous species; legumes; pastures; phosphorus; plant genetic resources; savannas; soil; Eswatini; Lesotho; South Africa
- ... In contrast to the exploration and use of southern African grass plant genetic resources over the past century, only a few indigenous legume species are currently used as forages, notwithstanding the vast untapped legume diversity available in southern Africa. The aim of this study was to assess legumes, indigenous to South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland and propose a list of species with pasture p ...
- Grant, Rina CC; Botha, Judith; Grant, Thelani C; Peel, Mike JS; Smit, Izak PJ
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 1-8
- Aepyceros melampus; biomass; buffaloes; feces; food intake; foraging; grasses; herbivores; landscapes; national parks; nutrient requirements; range management; savannas; wildebeest
- ... Herbivores are an integral part of the African landscape and have evolved with the vegetation to create the savanna landscape. Managers of these landscapes can benefit from a better understanding of how indigenous herbivores use the landscape to which they are adapted. In this study we observed which patches were frequently utilised, by doing regular monthly road counts, grass height observations ...