Jump to Main Content
- Gwate, Onalenna; Mantel, Sukhmani K; Finca, Andiswa; Gibson, Lesley A; Munch, Zahn; Palmer, Anthony R
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 17-25
- algorithms; ecosystems; eddy covariance; empirical research; evaporation; evapotranspiration; grasslands; landscapes; leaf area index; models; rangelands; soil; stomatal conductance; water shortages; South Africa
- ... In a context of water scarcity, efforts to increase landscape production should focus on improving water productivity. This requires an appreciation of the various components of evapotranspiration (ET), including soil evaporation (Eₛ) because the latter reflects ‘unproductive’ water loss. Both complex and simple algorithms have been developed to determine ET. In data scarce areas, developing and t ...
- Grant, Rina CC; Botha, Judith; Grant, Thelani C; Peel, Mike JS; Smit, Izak PJ
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 1-8
- Aepyceros melampus; biomass; buffaloes; feces; food intake; foraging; grasses; herbivores; landscapes; national parks; nutrient requirements; range management; savannas; wildebeest
- ... Herbivores are an integral part of the African landscape and have evolved with the vegetation to create the savanna landscape. Managers of these landscapes can benefit from a better understanding of how indigenous herbivores use the landscape to which they are adapted. In this study we observed which patches were frequently utilised, by doing regular monthly road counts, grass height observations ...