Jump to Main Content
- Trytsman, Marike; Masemola, Elizabeth L; Müller, Francuois L; Calitz, Frikkie J; van Wyk, Abraham E
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 27-40
- coasts; grasses; herbaria; hills; indigenous species; legumes; pastures; phosphorus; plant genetic resources; savannas; soil; Eswatini; Lesotho; South Africa
- ... In contrast to the exploration and use of southern African grass plant genetic resources over the past century, only a few indigenous legume species are currently used as forages, notwithstanding the vast untapped legume diversity available in southern Africa. The aim of this study was to assess legumes, indigenous to South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland and propose a list of species with pasture p ...
- Gwate, Onalenna; Mantel, Sukhmani K; Finca, Andiswa; Gibson, Lesley A; Munch, Zahn; Palmer, Anthony R
- African journal of range & forage science 2019 v.36 no.1 pp. 17-25
- algorithms; ecosystems; eddy covariance; empirical research; evaporation; evapotranspiration; grasslands; landscapes; leaf area index; models; rangelands; soil; stomatal conductance; water shortages; South Africa
- ... In a context of water scarcity, efforts to increase landscape production should focus on improving water productivity. This requires an appreciation of the various components of evapotranspiration (ET), including soil evaporation (Eₛ) because the latter reflects ‘unproductive’ water loss. Both complex and simple algorithms have been developed to determine ET. In data scarce areas, developing and t ...