Jump to Main Content
- Naledzani, Zwiafhela; Chaminuka, Petronella; Nhundu, Kenneth; Machethe, Charles L.; Liebenberg, Frikkie
- Agrekon 2019 v.58 no.1 pp. 102-112
- breeding; cost benefit analysis; crop production; cultivars; economic valuation; industry; irrigation; prices; rain; summer; wheat; winter; South Africa
- ... Wheat is South Africa’s second most important grain crop and is produced in winter rainfall, summer rainfall, and irrigation regions. Despite being a net importer of wheat, the country has stringent wheat quality requirements as per the Agricultural Products Act (Act No. 119 of 1990). This paper investigates the effects of the quality requirements in different regions and the wheat industry as who ...
- Nhundu, Kenneth; Chaminuka, Petronella; Nemakhavhani, Sedzani; Booyse, Mardé
- Agrekon 2019 v.58 no.1 pp. 86-101
- agricultural research; cultivars; economic valuation; farmers; financial economics; grain yield; prices; risk reduction; wheat; South Africa
- ... Cultivar choice is an important production decision by which producers aim to achieve highest returns with the lowest risk, for yield optimisation. Cultivar testing through evaluation trials provides information on selected cultivar characteristics and performance under different conditions, which farmers use to minimise risk elements associated with limited cultivar performance information. In So ...