Jump to Main Content
- Freguin-Gresh, S.; d'Haese, M.; Anseeuw, W.
- Agrekon 2012 v.51 no.3 pp. 24-51
- agricultural industry; case studies; econometrics; farmers; farming systems; livelihood; markets; poverty; South Africa
- ... This paper intends to contribute to the ongoing debate about whether and how restructured agri-food markets can provide viable market opportunities for small-scale farmers in South Africa. It analyses contract farming from the small-scale farmer perspective to better understand the implications for small-scale farmers of contractual arrangements with processing and/or marketing firms.The paper, ba ...
- Mugido, W.; Kleynhans, T.E.; Hoffman, W.
- Agrekon 2012 v.51 no.3 pp. 117-127
- breeding; chicks; farmers; farming systems; farms; flocks; income; models; ostriches
- ... The main farming system in use for the production of day-old ostrich chicks around Oudtshoorn in the Klein Karoo is the flock breeding system. This system does not present an opportunity for farmers to practise genetic selection. An alternative system, the small-camp system, would allow the farmer to practise genetic selection. However, for the farmer to switch from the flock breeding system to th ...