Jump to Main Content
- Lucia, Mariano; Telleria, María C.; Ramello, Pablo J.; Abrahamovich, Alberto H.
- Agricultural and forest entomology 2017 v.19 no.3 pp. 281-293
- Myrtaceae; nectar; oviposition; pollinators; urban areas; nesting; pollen; Solanum melongena; Solanum lycopersicum; flora; Erythrina crista-galli; ornamental trees; Xylocopa; larvae; pollination; shrubs; ecology; univoltine habit; carpenter bees; foraging; crops; Argentina
- ... A total of 33 nests of Xylocopa augusti was studied during two consecutive seasons. Nesting behaviour and floral resources used by the large carpenter bee X. augusti Lepeletier de Saint Fargeau were studied during the brood production season in an urban area in Argentina. Biological information about nesting aspects inside and outside the nest was considered, paying particular attention to year‐lo ...
- Caro, Aristeo; Moo‐Valle, Humberto; Alfaro, Rita; Quezada‐Euán, J. Javier G.
- Agricultural and forest entomology 2017 v.19 no.3 pp. 274-280
- Africanized honey bees; Bixa orellana; Melipona beecheii; Neotropics; crops; flowers; fruits; pollen; pollination; pollinators; prediction; seeds; stigma; trees
- ... Africanized honey bees (AHBs) are the predominant flower visitors of many plants in the neotropics, although little evidence is available on their efficiency as pollinators on native crops. Annatto (Bixa orellana) is a buzz‐pollinated neotropical tree. We compared the pollination service provided by AHBs and native Melipona beecheii (Mb) to annatto in the Yucatan. As a result of the different abil ...