Jump to Main Content
- Hunecke, Claudia; Engler, Alejandra; Jara-Rojas, Roberto; Poortvliet, P. Marijn
- Agricultural systems 2017 v.153 pp. 221-231
- farmers; human capital; innovation adoption; irrigation scheduling; models; social capital; social networks; wines; Chile
- ... Recently, social capital has gained importance in explaining technology adoption decisions by farmers. In this paper, we examine the impact of social capital on the adoption of irrigation technology and irrigation scheduling among wine producers in Central Chile. We propose three hypotheses: that trust and networks affect positively the adoption of both technologies (H1 and H2) and that trust is p ...
- Schoppach, Rémy; Soltani, Afshin; Sinclair, Thomas R.; Sadok, Walid
- Agricultural systems 2017 v.153 pp. 101-108
- Hordeum vulgare; Triticum aestivum; barley; crops; developmental stages; drought; farmers; grain yield; growing season; rain; rainfed farming; sowing date; wheat; Middle East
- ... Rain-fed wheat and barley are key crops in the Middle-East. A slight improvement in the effective use of water and in grain yield could greatly improve lives of subsistence farmers. This study aimed to evaluate the relative merits of wheat and barley in this region by simulating yields across 404 uniformly spread locations across 30 growing seasons. The results emphasized the primary importance of ...