Jump to Main Content
- Pardon, P.; Reheul, D.; Mertens, J.; Reubens, B.; De Frenne, P.; De Smedt, P.; Proesmans, W.; Van Vooren, L.; Verheyen, K.
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2019 v.270-271 pp. 114-128
- conservation buffers, etc ; Carabidae; Diplopoda; Isopoda; Staphylinidae; agricultural land; agroforestry; biodiversity; biological pest control; carbon cycle; detritivores; ecosystem services; landscapes; predatory arthropods; soil; trees; understory; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Ground dwelling arthropods present in agricultural systems regulate multiple ecosystem services (ES), such as nutrient and carbon cycling and biological pest control. The presence of semi-natural landscape features, such as the tree component of agroforestry systems (AFS), can contribute to functional agrobiodiversity and optimize the delivery of such ES in agricultural landscapes. In temperate AF ...
- Boinot, Sébastien; Fried, Guillaume; Storkey, Jonathan; Metcalfe, Helen; Barkaoui, Karim; Lauri, Pierre-Éric; Mézière, Delphine
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2019 v.284 pp. 106584
- conservation buffers, etc ; alley cropping; biodiversity conservation; conventional farming; crops; land use; organic production; refuge habitats; rhizomes; species diversity; stolons; surveys; tillage; trees; understory; vegetation; weed control; weeds; winter; France; Show all 20 Subjects
- ... Alley cropping agroforestry is a land use practice in which arable crops are grown between tree rows. In such agroforestry systems, non-crop herbaceous vegetation develops on the tree rows, resulting in understory vegetation strips (UVS). UVS are perceived both as reservoirs for weeds and opportunities for biodiversity conservation. The purpose of this study was to assess the contribution of UVS t ...