Jump to Main Content
- Ramsden, Mark W.; Menéndez, Rosa; Leather, Simon R.; Wäckers, Felix
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2015 v.199 pp. 94-104
- Aphidoidea; agricultural land; agroecosystems; aphidophagous predators; beneficial insects; biological control; crops; ecosystem services; edge effects; farm management; grasses; habitats; natural enemies; nectar; overwintering; parasitoids; pesticides; plant pests; pollen; population dynamics; predators; wheat; United Kingdom
- ... Insect predators and parasitoids act as biological pest control agents in agro-ecosystems, and thus provide valuable ecosystem services. These natural enemies of pest species often need a greater diversity of resources than the crops themselves provide. In intensive farm management the numbers of these beneficial arthropod species may be constrained by a lack of additional prey, floral resources o ...
- Goodall, Katherine E.; Bacon, Christopher M.; Mendez, V.Ernesto
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2015 v.199 pp. 200-206
- agroecosystems; canopy; carbon sequestration; carbon sinks; epiphytes; farmers; farms; habitats; species diversity; surveys; trees; Nicaragua
- ... Coffee smallholder management practices have received attention for their potential to conserve biodiversity and sequester carbon by maintaining structural complexity, high canopy diversity, and minimal external inputs. We conducted shade tree surveys on 95 1000m2 research plots over a 10-year period to identify patterns of shade tree density and diversity, epiphyte presence, and carbon stocks wit ...