Jump to Main Content
- Anderson, Ray G.; Tirado-Corbalá, Rebecca; Wang, Dong; Ayars, James E.
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2015 v.199 pp. 216
- Saccharum; aboveground biomass; biodegradation; biomass production; carbon; climate; drought; ecosystem respiration; eddy covariance; energy crops; leaves; microirrigation; net ecosystem production; plant cultural practices; primary productivity; radiation use efficiency; soil types; solar radiation; stems; sugarcane; sugarcane trash; Maui
- ... Sugarcane has been a major agronomic crop in Hawaii with an unique, high-yield, two-year production system. However, parameters relevant to advanced, cellulosic biofuel production, such as net ecosystem productivity (NEP) and radiation use efficiency (RUE), have not been evaluated in Hawaii under commercial production. Recent demand potential has rekindled interest in Hawaiian grown biofuels; as s ...
- Vadas, Peter A.; Busch, Dennis L.; Powell, J.Mark; Brink, Geoff E.
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2015 v.199 pp. 124
- agricultural runoff; atmospheric precipitation; beef cattle; cropland; dairy cattle; dairy farming; feces; fertilizers; grazing; losses from soil; models; monitoring; nitrogen; nutrients; pastures; phosphorus; production technology; remediation; sediment yield; sediments; snowmelt; soil; soil erosion; vegetation; water quality; Wisconsin
- ... Nitrogen (N) and phosphorus (P) loss from agriculture persists as a water quality impairment issue. For dairy farms, nutrients can be lost from cropland, pastures, barnyards, and outdoor cattle lots. We monitored N and P loss in runoff from dairy and beef grazed pastures for two years in southwest Wisconsin, USA and tested the accuracy of the Annual P Loss Estimator (APLE) model to predict runoff ...