Jump to Main Content
- Duan, Cheng; Shi, Peili; Zong, Ning; Wang, Jingsheng; Song, Minghua; Zhang, Xianzhou
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2019 v.284 pp. 106589
- carrying capacity; crop residues; crop rotation; environmental degradation; farmers; forage; forage production; grazing intensity; growing season; heat sums; issues and policy; markets; rangelands; river valleys; sheep; spring; temperature; watersheds; winter; China
- ... Separated, specialized crop and forage production has a long history on the Tibetan Plateau. Such isolated pattern has led to current concerns of intensified agriculture, environmental degradation and forage shortage in the increasing pressures of population and livestock growth. To tackle the predicament of feed shortage, an alternative to specialized agriculture is crop-forage rotation for poten ...
- Duchene, Olivier; Celette, Florian; Ryan, Matthew R.; DeHaan, Lee R.; Crews, Timothy E.; David, Christophe
- Agriculture, ecosystems & environment 2019 v.284 pp. 106591
- Thinopyrum intermedium subsp. intermedium; crop rotation; crops; ecosystem services; environmental performance; farmers; farming systems; farms; food security; forage production; grains; harvesting; issues and policy; soil quality; water quality
- ... Western European agriculture is largely defined by the high level of productivity of its cereal grain production. Such productivity is largely a result of farm specialization and intensification. This approach however has led to environmental problems and farm sensitivity to climatic and economic hazards. Recently, perennial grains have been promoted as a potential alternative, particularly with i ...