Jump to Main Content
- Westermann, D. T.; Kleinkopf, G. E.
- Agronomy journal 1985 v.77 no.3 pp. 490-494
- Solanum tuberosum; phosphorus fertilizers; tubers; yields; Idaho
- ... Maximum potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) tuber yields occur when an active plant canopy is maintained until normal plant maturation. Plant nutrient concentrations and uptake rates play a major role in maintaining an active plant top. The objectives of this study were to relate the plant P concentrations to the P and dry matter balance between tuber and total plant growth needs. Growth analysis data, ...
- Cary, J. W.
- Agronomy journal 1985 v.77 no.3 pp. 379-383
- Solanum tuberosum; aeration; bulk density; diffusivity; ethylene; loamy sand soils; nitrogen; oxygen; oxygen consumption; oxygen requirement; periderm; permeability; potatoes; roots; silt loam soils; silty clay soils; soil quality; soil respiration; texture; tubers
- ... Potato plants are more sensitive to soil oxygen stress than many other common crops. Some recent literature suggests this may be due to a relatively high oxygen requirement for tuber growth, rather than a greater requirement for the roots per se. Consequently, the oxygen consumption of growing potato tubers (Solanum tuberosum cv. Russet Burbank) was measured in the field on a Portneuf silt loam (c ...