Jump to Main Content
- Dale D. McClure; Audrey Luiz; Blandine Gerber; Geoffrey W. Barton; John M. Kavanagh
- Algal research 2018 v.29 pp. 41-48
- Phaeodactylum tricornutum; bioreactors; carbon dioxide; carotenoids; functional foods; light intensity; microalgae; nitrates; photons
- ... Fucoxanthin is a carotenoid pigment produced by algae that has a range of potential health benefits. Despite the obvious interest in developing a process for the production of fucoxanthin, relatively few authors have systematically examined the impact of culture conditions (i.e. the light intensity, medium composition and CO2 addition) on fucoxanthin production. In this work, we have addressed thi ...
- Tom M.M. Bernaerts; Lore Gheysen; Clare Kyomugasho; Zahra Jamsazzadeh Kermani; Stéphanie Vandionant; Imogen Foubert; Marc E. Hendrickx; Ann M. Van Loey
- Algal research 2018 v.32 pp. 150-161
- Arthrospira platensis; Chlorella vulgaris; Nannochloropsis; Phaeodactylum tricornutum; Porphyridium cruentum; Schizochytrium; Tetraselmis chuii; biomass; cell walls; functional foods; ingredients; lipids; microalgae; monosaccharides; polysaccharides; proteins; sulfates; uronic acids
- ... Microalgae are rich in several nutritional and health-beneficial components, showing great potential as functional food ingredients. To this extent, knowledge of the biomass composition is essential in the selection of suitable microalgae species for specific food applications. Surprisingly, although cell wall polysaccharides are generally reported to play a role in functionality, limited attentio ...