Jump to Main Content
- Tossavainen, Marika; Katyal Chopra, Neha; Kostia, Silja; Valkonen, Kalle; Sharma, Anil K.; Sharma, Suvigya; Ojala, Anne; Romantschuk, Martin
- Algal research 2018 v.35 pp. 76-84
- alpha-linolenic acid, etc ; Chlorella sorokiniana; Euglena gracilis; Selenastrum; algae culture; bacteria; biomass production; coculture; commercialization; docosahexaenoic acid; eicosapentaenoic acid; leachates; microalgae; mixed culture; nutrient uptake; production costs; wastes; Show all 17 Subjects
- ... Microalgae are a sustainable alternative for production of valuable omega −3 fatty acids (FAs), but high production costs limit commercialization. Utilization of waste as a nutrient source increases the economics of the cultivation process. Additionally, using mixed algal cultures instead of monocultures makes the cultivation process more flexible and can increase biomass and lipid production. Her ...
- Norashikin, Md Nor; Loh, Saw Hong; Aziz, Ahmad; Cha, Thye San
- Algal research 2018 v.31 pp. 262-275
- alpha-linolenic acid, etc ; Chlorella vulgaris; DNA; algae; biomass production; biosynthesis; fatty acid composition; gene expression regulation; gene overexpression; genes; genetic improvement; genetically modified organisms; linoleic acid; lipid content; metabolic engineering; oleic acid; omega-3 fatty acids; palmitic acid; stearic acid; stearoyl-CoA desaturase; transcription (genetics); Show all 21 Subjects
- ... This study demonstrated the overexpression of omega-3 fatty acid desaturase (ω-3 FAD) gene under the control of its endogenous promoter and to elucidate its effect on fatty acid biosynthesis pathway in transgenic Chlorella vulgaris. Two stable transgenic lines (Ch-TL1 and Ch-TL2) were selected and cultured under nitrate-replete and nitrate-deficient BBM culture conditions, respectively to determin ...