Jump to Main Content
- Van Loey, Ann M., et al. Show all 8 Authors
- Algal research 2018 v.32 pp. 150-161
- Arthrospira platensis; Chlorella vulgaris; Nannochloropsis; Phaeodactylum tricornutum; Porphyridium cruentum; Schizochytrium; Tetraselmis chuii; biomass; cell walls; functional foods; ingredients; lipids; microalgae; monosaccharides; polysaccharides; proteins; sulfates; uronic acids
- ... Microalgae are rich in several nutritional and health-beneficial components, showing great potential as functional food ingredients. To this extent, knowledge of the biomass composition is essential in the selection of suitable microalgae species for specific food applications. Surprisingly, although cell wall polysaccharides are generally reported to play a role in functionality, limited attentio ...
- Van Loey, Ann M., et al. Show all 9 Authors
- Algal research 2017 v.25 pp. 452-463
- microstructure; microalgae; foods; storage modulus; blood serum; Nannochloropsis; viscosity; exopolysaccharides; Schizochytrium; pasteurization; gels; Arthrospira platensis; Phaeodactylum tricornutum; ingredients; Chlorella vulgaris; Porphyridium cruentum; biomass; homogenization
- ... Microalgae show great potential for use as novel ingredients in food products, as they are rich in several nutritional and health-beneficial components. However, addition of total microalgal biomass might alter the structural properties of the food system. Therefore, information is required about their rheological characteristics towards selection of microalgae species for specific food products. ...