Jump to Main Content
- Johnson, Zackary I., et al. Show all 2 Author
- Algal research 2017 v.24 pp. 154-166
- algae; algae culture; biofuels; biomass; cost effectiveness; decision making; fuel production; harvesting; meta-analysis; microorganisms; water reuse
- ... Current high costs of commercial-scale algal biofuel production prevent the widespread use of this renewable fuel source. One cost-saving approach is the reuse of algae cultivation water after biomass harvesting, which reduces water pumping and treatment costs. However, dissolved compounds, cell debris, and microorganisms remaining in the water could affect subsequent algae generations. Previous s ...
- Johnson, Zackary I., et al. Show all 10 Authors
- Algal research 2015 v.10 pp. 249-265
- Bacillariophyceae; algae culture; algal oils; biomass; capital; carbon dioxide; coasts; fertilizer application; fuels; inoculum; life cycle assessment; lipids; microalgae; nitrogen; nitrogen fertilizers; phosphorus; photobioreactors; ponds; seawater; Hawaii; Texas
- ... We present the results from sustained tonne-quantity production of two novel strains of marine microalgae, the diatom Staurosira and the chlorophyte Desmodesmus, cultivated in a hybrid system of 25-m3 photobioreactors and 400-m2 open ponds at a large-scale demonstration facility, and then apply those results to evaluate the performance of a 100-ha Base Case commercial facility assuming it were bui ...