Jump to Main Content
- García-Alfonso, Marina; Morales-Reyes, Zebensui; Gangoso, Laura; Bouten, Willem; Sánchez-Zapata, José A.; Serrano, David; Donázar, José A.
- Ambio 2019 v.48 no.8 pp. 900-912
- Neophron percnopterus; anthropogenic activities; ecosystem services; endangered ecosystems; endangered species; farmers; farms; global positioning systems; herd size; human-wildlife relations; livestock husbandry; males; risk; surveys; vultures; Canary Islands
- ... Society’s perception of ecosystem services is a key issue in conservation, particularly for endangered species providing services linked to human activities. Misperceptions may lead to wildlife–human conflicts with the risk of disappearance of the species involved. We contrasted farmers’ perceptions with highly accurate quantitative data of an endangered vulture species, which provide ecosystem se ...
- França, Juliana Silva; Solar, Ricardo; Hughes, Robert M.; Callisto, Marcos
- Ambio 2019 v.48 no.8 pp. 867-878
- biodiversity; ecosystem services; environmental monitoring; habitats; participation (behavior); population growth; public policy; science education; sewage; streams; students; surface water; teachers; urban areas; waste disposal; water quality
- ... Most Latin American demands for drinking water are in or near urban areas. However, population growth and untreated sewage disposal degrade water quality, with negative effects for biodiversity and ecosystem services. Mobilizing society to monitor quality of urban watercourses facilitates training and allows diagnosis that may further help implement mitigation and management strategies. Therefore, ...