Jump to Main Content
- García-Alfonso, Marina; Morales-Reyes, Zebensui; Gangoso, Laura; Bouten, Willem; Sánchez-Zapata, José A.; Serrano, David; Donázar, José A.
- Ambio 2019 v.48 no.8 pp. 900-912
- Neophron percnopterus; anthropogenic activities; ecosystem services; endangered ecosystems; endangered species; farmers; farms; global positioning systems; herd size; human-wildlife relations; livestock husbandry; males; risk; surveys; vultures; Canary Islands
- ... Society’s perception of ecosystem services is a key issue in conservation, particularly for endangered species providing services linked to human activities. Misperceptions may lead to wildlife–human conflicts with the risk of disappearance of the species involved. We contrasted farmers’ perceptions with highly accurate quantitative data of an endangered vulture species, which provide ecosystem se ...
- Craig, Christie A.; Thomson, Robert L.; Girardello, Marco; Santangeli, Andrea
- Ambio 2019 v.48 no.8 pp. 913-922
- agricultural land; farmers; livestock; predators; vultures; Eurasia; Namibia
- ... The use of poison by farmers to control livestock predators is a major threat to vulture populations across Eurasia and Africa. While there is now some understanding of poison use on freehold farmland regions in southern Africa, the prevalence and drivers of this practice are still unknown in communal farmlands. We surveyed 353 communal farmers in Namibia to assess the prevalence of reported poiso ...