Jump to Main Content
- Unsworth, Richard K. F.; McKenzie, Len J.; Collier, Catherine J.; Cullen-Unsworth, Leanne C.; Duarte, Carlos M.; Eklöf, Johan S.; Jarvis, Jessie C.; Jones, Benjamin L.; Nordlund, Lina M.
- Ambio 2019 v.48 no.8 pp. 801-815
- biodiversity; climate change; ecosystems; flowering; food security; habitats; issues and policy; meadows; seagrasses; socioeconomics; stakeholders
- ... Seagrasses, flowering marine plants that form underwater meadows, play a significant global role in supporting food security, mitigating climate change and supporting biodiversity. Although progress is being made to conserve seagrass meadows in select areas, most meadows remain under significant pressure resulting in a decline in meadow condition and loss of function. Effective management strategi ...
- França, Juliana Silva; Solar, Ricardo; Hughes, Robert M.; Callisto, Marcos
- Ambio 2019 v.48 no.8 pp. 867-878
- biodiversity; ecosystem services; environmental monitoring; habitats; participation (behavior); population growth; public policy; science education; sewage; streams; students; surface water; teachers; urban areas; waste disposal; water quality
- ... Most Latin American demands for drinking water are in or near urban areas. However, population growth and untreated sewage disposal degrade water quality, with negative effects for biodiversity and ecosystem services. Mobilizing society to monitor quality of urban watercourses facilitates training and allows diagnosis that may further help implement mitigation and management strategies. Therefore, ...