Jump to Main Content
- van Franeker, JanA.; Bravo Rebolledo, ElisaL.; Hesse, Eileen; IJsseldijk, LonnekeL.; Kühn, Susanne; Leopold, Mardik; Mielke, Lara
- Ambio 2018 v.47 no.4 pp. 387-397
- North Sea, etc ; European Union; Phocoena phocoena; animals; foraging; habitats; ingestion; monitoring; neonates; polypropylenes; stomach; Netherlands; Show all 12 Subjects
- ... Stomach contents of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) collected in the Netherlands between 2003 and 2013 were inspected for the presence of plastic and other man-made litter. In 654 stomach samples the frequency of occurrence of plastic litter was 7% with less than 0.5% additional presence of non-synthetic man-made litter. However, we show that when a dedicated standard protocol for the detect ...
- PubMed Central:
- Turner, DavidR.; Edman, Moa; Gallego-Urrea, JuliánAlberto; Claremar, Björn; Hassellöv, Ida-Maja; Omstedt, Anders; Rutgersson, Anna
- Ambio 2018 v.47 no.3 pp. 368-378
- North Sea, etc ; acid deposition; acidification; alkalinity; exports; human health; long term effects; marine environment; nitrogen oxides; pH; risk; scrubbers; seawater; shipping; sulfur; sulfur oxides; surface water; Baltic Sea; Northern European region; Show all 19 Subjects
- ... International regulation of the emission of acidic sulphur and nitrogen oxides from commercial shipping has focused on the risks to human health, with little attention paid to the consequences for the marine environment. The introduction of stricter regulations in northern Europe has led to substantial investment in scrubbers that absorb the sulphur oxides in a counterflow of seawater. This paper ...