Jump to Main Content
- Swinnen, J.F.M.
- American journal of agricultural economics 1994 v.76 no.1 pp. 1-14
- economic development; mathematical models; politics; trade policy; farm income; equilibrium theory; supply balance; agricultural products; demand elasticities; production economics; agriculture
- ... The present paper analyses the political economy of agricultural protection in a general equilibrium framework. Rational politicians offer protectionist policies in return for political support from their constituency. Individuals in the economy have different factor endowments. Politicians exploit these differences in establishing redistributive policies when maximizing political support. Changes ...
- Chambers, R.G.; Pope, R.D.
- American journal of agricultural economics 1994 v.76 no.1 pp. 105-113
- agriculture; mathematical models; production economics; United States
- ... We characterize the class of profit functions termed VIPS for "virtually ideal production system". VIPS is consistent with all derived demands being linear in numeric functions of output prices. A flexible but parsimonious version of the VIPS profit function is specified and the implied supply-response system is estimated using aggregate U.S. agricultural data. ...