Jump to Main Content
- Gamble, Mary V.; Liu, Xinhua; Ahsan, Habibul; Pilsner, J. Richard; Ilievski, Vesna; Slavkovich, Vesna; Parvez, Faruque; Chen, Yu; Levy, Diane; Factor-Litvak, Pam; Graziano, Joseph H.
- American journal of clinical nutrition 2006 v.84 no.5 pp. 1093-1101
- human nutrition; dietary supplements; folic acid; protective effect; toxic substances; arsenic; inorganic compounds; dietary exposure; methylation; randomized clinical trials; placebos; adults; nutrient uptake; biomarkers; blood plasma; homocysteine; urine; metabolites; nutrient deficiencies; diet therapy; disease prevention; Bangladesh
- ... BACKGROUND: Populations in South and East Asia and many other regions of the world are chronically exposed to arsenic-contaminated drinking water. To various degrees, ingested inorganic arsenic (InAs) is methylated to monomethylarsonic acid (MMA) and dimethylarsinic acid (DMA) via folate-dependent one-carbon metabolism; impaired methylation is associated with adverse health outcomes. Consequently, ...
- PubMed Central:
- Hambidge, K. Michael; Abebe, Yewelsew; Gibson, Rosalind S.; Westcott, Jamie E.; Miller, Leland V.; Lei, Sian; Stoecker, Barbara J.; Arbide, Isabel; Teshome, Akilu; Bailey, Karl B.; Krebs, Nancy F.
- American journal of clinical nutrition 2006 v.84 no.5 pp. 1102-1106
- human nutrition; pregnant women; rural areas; dietary minerals; zinc; nutritional status; nutritional adequacy; quantitative analysis; nutrient uptake; absorption; pregnancy; biomarkers; blood plasma; phytic acid; labeling techniques; isotope labeling; food intake; nutrient requirements; Ethiopia
- ... BACKGROUND: Little is yet known about zinc absorption in late pregnancy, and no information on absorption from the total diet is available. OBJECTIVE: The objective was to measure the fractional absorption of zinc (FAZ) and to estimate the total quantity of absorbed zinc (TAZ) each day during the third trimester of pregnancy in poor rural southern Ethiopian women. DESIGN: The participants (n = 17) ...
- PubMed Central: