Jump to Main Content
- Hanff, Erik, et al. Show all 7 Authors
- Amino acids 2018 v.50 no.10 pp. 1391-1406
- arginine; biomarkers; blood serum; citrulline; creatinine; excretion; guanidinoacetate N-methyltransferase; humans; males; malondialdehyde; metabolites; metformin; muscular dystrophy; neuronal nitric oxide synthase; neurons; nitrates; nitric oxide; nitrites; oxidative stress; patients; skeletal muscle; urine
- ... The L-arginine/nitric oxide synthase (NOS) pathway is considered to be altered in muscular dystrophy such as Becker muscular dystrophy (BMD). We investigated two pharmacological options aimed to increase nitric oxide (NO) synthesis in 20 male BMD patients (age range 21–44 years): (1) supplementation with L-citrulline (3 × 5 g/d), the precursor of L-arginine which is the substrate of neuronal NO sy ...
- Hanff, Erik, et al. Show all 17 Authors
- Amino acids 2018 v.50 no.7 pp. 799-821
- Whites; absorption; anhydrides; animal models; bioavailability; boys; carbonate dehydratase; cattle; children; coronary artery disease; diabetes; elderly; endothelium; excretion; homeostasis; humans; hyperlipidemia; men; meta-analysis; mice; muscular dystrophy; neonates; nitric oxide; nitrites; nitrous acid; oral administration; patients; rats; sodium chloride; sodium nitrate; thiols; urine
- ... We recently found that renal carbonic anhydrase (CA) is involved in the reabsorption of inorganic nitrite (NO₂⁻), an abundant reservoir of nitric oxide (NO) in tissues and cells. Impaired NO synthesis in the endothelium and decreased NO bioavailability in the circulation are considered major contributors to the development and progression of renal and cardiovascular diseases in different condition ...