Jump to Main Content
- Saransaari, P.; Oja, S. S.
- Amino acids 2004 v.26 no.1 pp. 91-98
- adenosine; adults; agonists; antagonists; cell membranes; glutamic acid; hippocampus; hydrogen peroxide; hydroxylamine; ischemia; mice; neuroprotective effect; nitric oxide; receptors; taurine; transporters; tritium
- ... The release of the inhibitory neuromodulator taurine in the hippocampus is markedly enhanced under various neural cell-damaging conditions, including ischemia and exposure to free radicals. The properties and regulation of the release evoked by a medium containing free radicals was investigated in hippocampal slices from adult (3-month-old) and developing (7-day-old) mice, using a superfusion syst ...
- Modi, P.; Suleiman, M.-S.
- Amino acids 2004 v.26 no.1 pp. 65-70
- children; infants; ischemia; myocardium; patients; rats; taurine
- ... Depleting intracellular taurine in heart cells improves their resistance to ischemia and reperfusion injury. The aim of this work was to see whether physiologically low levels of endogenous taurine also reflect a reduced vulnerability of the myocardium to cardiac insults. The myocardial concentration of taurine was measured during different stages of development and compared with vulnerability to ...