Jump to Main Content
- Saransaari, P.; Oja, S. S.
- Amino acids 2004 v.26 no.1 pp. 91-98
- adenosine; adults; agonists; antagonists; cell membranes; glutamic acid; hippocampus; hydrogen peroxide; hydroxylamine; ischemia; mice; neuroprotective effect; nitric oxide; receptors; taurine; transporters; tritium
- ... The release of the inhibitory neuromodulator taurine in the hippocampus is markedly enhanced under various neural cell-damaging conditions, including ischemia and exposure to free radicals. The properties and regulation of the release evoked by a medium containing free radicals was investigated in hippocampal slices from adult (3-month-old) and developing (7-day-old) mice, using a superfusion syst ...
- Peñafiel, R.; Ruzafa, C.; Monserrat, F.; Cremades, A.
- Amino acids 2004 v.26 no.1 pp. 53-58
- adults; anserine; carnosine; females; legs; lysine; males; mice; muscles; sexual dimorphism; skeletal muscle; testosterone
- ... The aminoacyl-imidazole dipeptides carnosine (β-alanyl-L-histidine) and anserine (β-alanyl-1-methyl-histidine) are present in relatively high concentrations in excitable tissues, such as muscle and nervous tissue. In the present study we describe the existence of a marked sexual dimorphism of carnosine and anserine in skeletal muscles of CD1 mice. In adult animals the concentrations of anserine we ...