Jump to Main Content
- Munsterhjelm, C., et al. Show all 5 Authors
- Animal 2013 v.7 no.5 pp. 814-821
- alanine transaminase; alkaline phosphatase; analysis of variance; anemia; blood proteins; case-control studies; creatine kinase; farms; finishing; immune system; inflammation; necropsy; pathogens; swine; tail; tissues
- ... Health in relation to tail-biting behaviour was investigated on a problem farm. Quartets (n = 16) of age- and gender-matched fattening pigs including a tail biter (TB, n = 16), a victim (V, n = 16), a control in the same pen (Cₜb, n = 10) and a control in a pen where no tail biting was observed (Cₙₒ, n = 14) were chosen by direct behavioural observation. Haematological and clinicochemical analyses ...
- Munsterhjelm, C., et al. Show all 6 Authors
- Animal 2010 v.4 no.2 pp. 242-249
- piglets; livestock production; group housing; litter (bedding); wood shavings; straw; animal stress; stress tolerance; biomarkers; circadian rhythm; cortisol; animal injuries; social behavior; ontogeny; rearing; finishing; animal well-being
- ... Effects of environmental enrichment at different stages of life on stress physiology of pigs were investigated in a trial with 63 groups, each of four siblings. In each of the three growing phases (suckling 0 to 4 weeks of age, nursery 5 to 9 weeks, fattening 10 to 24 weeks) pens either were (=E) or were not (=0) enriched. Accordingly, the treatments were (i) 000, (ii) E00, (iii) EE0, (iv) 00E, (v ...