Jump to Main Content
- Malcolm, Stephen B.; Vargas, Natalia Ruiz; Rowe, Logan; Stevens, Joel; Armagost, Joshua E.; Johnson, Andrew C.
- Animal Migration 2018 v.5 no.1 pp. 104-114
- Apocynaceae; adults; autumn; breeding; chemical defenses; eggs; females; insects; life history; lipid content; males; migratory behavior; spring; summer; vertebrates; Michigan
- ... Running title: Monarch alternative migration: We collected 434 adult monarchs and surveyed milkweeds for immature monarchs in southwest Michigan, USA in order to test the hypothesis that monarchs are temporally variable, sequential partial migrants rather than partial migrants that may be spatially separated. Adult size, wing wear, female egg counts, fat content and sequestered chemical defenses w ...
- Whitaker, Darroch M.; Warkentin, Ian G.; Hobson, Keith A.; Thomas, Peter; Boardman, Rinchen
- Animal Migration 2018 v.5 no.1 pp. 42-48
- Catharus; antennae; autumn; global positioning systems; habitats; males; migratory behavior; summer; winter; Caribbean; Central America; Colombia; Venezuela
- ... The Newfoundland subspecies of Gray-cheeked Thrush (Catharus minimus minimus) has declined since the 1980s and degradation of winter habitat has been suggested as a contributing stressor. However, the winter range of this subspecies is not well understood, so we fitted 29 males with archival GPS tags during summer 2016. Four tagged thrushes were recaptured in summer 2017 and, though all tags had m ...