Jump to Main Content
- Davis, Andrew K.; de Roode, Jacobus C.
- Animal Migration 2018 v.5 no.1 pp. 84-93
- Danaus plexippus; Protozoa; color; flight; migratory behavior; overwintering; parasites; pigmentation; tensile strength; wings; Mexico
- ... There is mounting evidence that the longterm declines of overwintering monarchs in Mexico are exacerbated by losses during the fall migratory journey. Infection with the protozoan, Ophryocystis elektroscirrha (OE), is known to negatively impact migration success. Here we examine how infections affect specific wing traits of monarchs that are important for migratory success. We used a collection of ...
- Abdulle, S. A.; Fraser, K. C.
- Animal Migration 2018 v.5 no.1 pp. 49-58
- coasts; flight; insectivores; longitude; migratory behavior; migratory birds; spring; wind speed; Gulf of Mexico; Gulf of Mexico region; Mexico; United States
- ... The influence of weather on the departure decisions and routes of migratory birds can now be further investigated with the use of direct tracking methods. We tested hypotheses for migration departure decisions and flight trajectories by determining the influence of wind speed and direction at the Yucatan peninsula in spring on departure date, migratory route, and longitude of arrival at the northe ...