Jump to Main Content
- Varga, G.A., et al. Show all 3 Authors
- Animal feed science and technology 2008 v.143 no.1-4 pp. 70-88
- mathematical models; ruminant nutrition; volatile fatty acids; heifers; rumen; isotope labeling; butyrates; data analysis; Holstein; propionates; lipid metabolism
- ... Four rumen-cannulated Holstein heifers were used to quantify volatile fatty acid (VFA) kinetics in the rumen using ¹³C stable isotopes. Heifers were fed either a low (L) or high (H) concentrate diet with level of concentrate of 250 or 700g/kg dry matter, respectively. Isotopic tracers, Na-1-¹³C-acetate (Ac), -propionate (Pr), or -butyrate (Bu) were infused as a bolus into the rumen. Three days pri ...
- Varga, G.A., et al. Show all 4 Authors
- Animal feed science and technology 2009 v.153 no.1-2 pp. 11-27
- isotope labeling; dietary energy sources; dietary carbohydrate; butyric acid; propionic acid; dietary supplements; dairy cows; volatile fatty acids; prepartum period; uptake mechanisms; animal performance; feed additives; nutrient utilization; pregnancy; rumen fermentation; postpartum period; lipid metabolism; monensin; acetic acid; kinetics
- ... Eight multiparous periparturient Holstein cows fitted with ruminal cannulas were used in a split plot design to evaluate effects of monensin on ruminal volatile fatty acid (VFA) metabolism. Diets were supplemented with 300mg/day of monensin, or no monensin, both prepartum and postpartum. Isotopic tracers, Na-1-¹³C-acetate (Ac), Na-1-¹³C-propionate (Pr), or Na-1-¹³C-butyrate (Bu) were used as marke ...