Jump to Main Content
- Hendriks, Stacey J.; Donaghy, Daniel J.; Cranston, Lydia M.; Edwards, Grant R.; Chapman, David F.
- Animal production science 2017 v.57 no.7 pp. 1289-1296
- Lolium perenne; animals; botanical composition; breeding; cultivars; endophytes; farmers; forage quality; genetic improvement; grazing; host plants; insect pests; milk production; new variety; pastures; production technology; temperate zones
- ... Results of studies designed to determine whether or not differences measured among perennial ryegrass cultivars in small-plot studies translate into differences in milk production and profit in dairy whole-system studies were reviewed. Only three experiments were identified that met the criteria for fully self-contained systems repeated over multiple years required to account for annual feed suppl ...
- Wims, C. M.; Ludemann, C. I.; Phillips, H.; Chapman, D. F.
- Animal production science 2017 v.57 no.7 pp. 1357-1365
- Lolium perenne; botanical composition; breeding; cultivars; diploidy; economic valuation; farm profitability; farmers; financial economics; flowering; genetic improvement; grazing; leaves; metabolizable energy; pastures; spring; tetraploidy; tillers; New Zealand
- ... Perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.) breeding efforts have focussed on improving pasture nutritive value by altering flowering behaviour and increasing ploidy. However, the gains in farm profitability that this has delivered are not known. The flowering behaviour, botanical composition and nutritive value of pastures based on 24 perennial ryegrass cultivar–endophyte combinations released in New ...