Jump to Main Content
- Neal, Mark; Kay, Jane; Peel, Sally; McCarthy, Sean
- Animal production science 2017 v.57 no.7 pp. 1343-1349
- autumn; body condition; calving; cows; crops; decision making; decision support systems; drying; energy; farmers; feeds; forage; grazing; milking frequency; models; pastures; profitability; purchasing
- ... Success in a pasture-based dairy system relies on matching feed supply and feed demand in a profitable manner. Autumn is an important period for decision making to maximise current-season profitability, while ensuring key targets such as cow body condition score and the level of average pasture cover are met for the upcoming season. There are many tactical management strategies for farmers to cons ...
- Dela Rue, B. T.; Eastwood, C. R.
- Animal production science 2017 v.57 no.7 pp. 1543-1549
- consultants; cost effectiveness; cows; dairy farming; farmers; farming systems; feeds; grazing; herds; interviews; lactation; milk production; models; pastures; professionals; surveys; uncertainty; New Zealand
- ... Approximately one-third of New Zealand dairy farms have in-shed feeding systems, and quarter of these systems have individual-cow feeding capability. There is little information about the factors motivating farmers to install individualised feeding technology in New Zealand and their management practices. A survey was conducted of 42 farmers using individualised feeding, followed by interviews of ...