Jump to Main Content
- Dela Rue, B. T.; Eastwood, C. R.
- Animal production science 2017 v.57 no.7 pp. 1543-1549
- consultants; cost effectiveness; cows; dairy farming; farmers; farming systems; feeds; grazing; herds; interviews; lactation; milk production; models; pastures; professionals; surveys; uncertainty; New Zealand
- ... Approximately one-third of New Zealand dairy farms have in-shed feeding systems, and quarter of these systems have individual-cow feeding capability. There is little information about the factors motivating farmers to install individualised feeding technology in New Zealand and their management practices. A survey was conducted of 42 farmers using individualised feeding, followed by interviews of ...
- Eastwood, C. R.; Dela Rue, B. T.; Gray, D. I.
- Animal production science 2017 v.57 no.7 pp. 1536-1542
- business enterprises; computer software; dairy farming; decision making; decision support systems; farm corporations; farmers; farming systems; governance; grazing; grazing management; interviews; irrigation; pastures; professionals; qualitative analysis; systems engineering; New Zealand
- ... The use of pasture measurement tools and decision-support systems (DSS) for grazing management remains limited on New Zealand dairy farms. However, effective use of such tools provides opportunities to optimise pasture grown and pasture harvested. The present study used a mixed-method qualitative research approach to investigate pasture data and technology use for grazing decision making, through ...