Jump to Main Content
- Dalmau, Antoni; Di Nardo, Antonio; Realini, Carolina Eva; Rodríguez, Pedro; Llonch, Pol; Temple, Déborah; Velarde, Antonio; Giansante, Daniele; Messori, Stefano; Villa, Paolo Dalla
- Animal production science 2014 v.54 no.2 pp. 179-186
- Merino; animal welfare; aspartate transaminase; blood; color; cortisol; creatine kinase; feces; juices; lactate dehydrogenase; lactation; lambs; meat quality; metabolites; proteins; shear stress; slaughterhouses; temperature; transportation; urea nitrogen
- ... To assess the effect of transport duration on animal welfare and meat quality of lambs, two trials were performed: Forty Ile-de-France × Merino lambs were used in Trial 1 and 40 Comisana lambs in Trial 2. In both trials, the lambs, aged between 14 and 16 weeks, were divided into two groups of 20 animals. One group was subjected to a 1-h period of transportation (T1) and the other to a 24-h period ...
- Greeff, J. C.; Karlsson, L. J. E.; Schlink, A. C.
- Animal production science 2014 v.54 no.2 pp. 125-140
- Diptera; Mediterranean climate; Merino; body conformation; ewes; genetic correlation; heritability; lambs; neck; parturition; progeny; rams; sires; spring; urine; weaning; wool; yearlings
- ... Data from 2833 unmulesed Merino lambs from 49 sires and 1535 dams that were born from 2005 to 2009, were used to identify indicator traits for breech strike in a Mediterranean environment. Sheep were managed in a normal production environment where no preventative treatments were applied to protect them from being struck by flies, but were immediately treated when found to be fly struck. Seventy-s ...