Jump to Main Content
- Winkel, Anders; Borum, Jens
- Annals of botany 2009 v.103 no.7 pp. 1015-1023
- Hydrocotyle; Lilaeopsis; Lobelia; Ludwigia; Vallisneria americana; air; carbon; lakes; leaves; photosynthesis; plant morphology; root shoot ratio; roots; sediments; stems; submerged aquatic plants
- ... BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Submersed plants have different strategies to overcome inorganic carbon limitation. It is generally assumed that only small rosette species (isoetids) are able to utilize the high sediment CO₂ availability. The present study examined to what extent five species of submersed freshwater plants with different morphology and growth characteristics (Lobelia dortmanna, Lilaeopsis ma ...
- Ghannoum, Oula
- Annals of botany 2009 v.103 no.4 pp. 635-644
- plant stress; stomatal conductance; electrons; photorespiration; water use efficiency; drought; water stress; environmental factors; food security; air; global carbon budget; nitrates; soil water; enzyme activity; leaves; leaf conductance
- ... BACKGROUND: In contrast to C₃ photosynthesis, the response of C₄ photosynthesis to water stress has been less-well studied in spite of the significant contribution of C₄ plants to the global carbon budget and food security. The key feature of C₄ photosynthesis is the operation of a CO₂-concentrating mechanism in the leaves, which serves to saturate photosynthesis and suppress photorespiration in n ...