Jump to Main Content
- de Ruyter, Emily M.; van Wetter, William H.E.J.; Lines, David S.; Plush, Kate J.
- Applied animal behaviour science 2017 v.193 pp. 43-50
- piglets, etc ; animal behavior; body weight; cortisol; ingestion; lactation; sows; weaning; Show all 8 Subjects
- ... This study tested whether a gradual reduction in sow contact during lactation, achieved through housing the sow in a ‘sow only’ area, would influence piglet stress responses to weaning. Gradual reduction in sow contact was achieved by separating the sow from her piglets (SP, n=30) for 5, 7, and 9h per day on days 10–15, 16–20 and 20 to weaning, respectively. Litters from 20 sows were followed as c ...
- Ocepek, Marko; Newberry, Ruth C.; Andersen, Inger Lise
- Applied animal behaviour science 2017 v.193 pp. 7-14
- piglets, etc ; animal behavior; artificial selection; body weight; breeds; crossbreds; crushing; farrowing pens; litter size; massage; meat production; milk ejection; models; mortality; natural selection; progeny; risk; sows; starvation; udders; weaning; Show all 21 Subjects
- ... Artificial selection of the domestic pig (Sus scrofa domesticus) offers a useful model for investigating changes in behaviour associated with reproductive trade-offs between litter size and fitness of offspring. The aim of this study was to evaluate effects of litter size on teat stimulation, sibling competition, and pre-weaning survival and growth in three populations of domestic pigs subjected t ...