Jump to Main Content
- Mkhize, Ntuthuko R.; Heitkönig, Ignas M.A.; Scogings, Peter F.; Dziba, Luthando E.; Prins, Herbert H.T.; de Boer, Willem F.
- Applied animal behaviour science 2015 v.169 pp. 33-37
- animal behavior; browsing; dry season; forage quality; foraging; goats; grasses; grazing; herbaceous plants; herbivores; ingestion; leaves; neutralization; polyethylene glycol; proanthocyanidins; savannas; tannins; trees; wet season; woody plants
- ... Tannin concentrations fluctuate spatially and temporally within and among plant species, with consequences for forage quality of herbivores. The extent to which these fluctuations influence foraging activities of goats is not fully understood. While accounting for the effects of the time of the day and season, we tested the hypothesis that goats exposed to high levels of condensed tannins (i) spen ...
- Vezzoli, Giuseppe; Mullens, Bradley A.; Mench, Joy A.
- Applied animal behaviour science 2015 v.169 pp. 93-99
- White Leghorn; analysis of variance; animal behavior; cages; ectoparasites; foraging; habitats; laying hens; mites; pesticides; sand; trays
- ... A presumed function of dustbathing behavior is to remove ectoparasites. Providing dustbathing substrates in furnished cages for laying hens might therefore offer an alternative to pesticide use to reduce ectoparasite populations. We investigated the effectiveness of dustbathing substrates for controlling northern fowl mites in individually caged beak-trimmed White Leghorn hens (N=32). Each cage co ...