Jump to Main Content
- Mkhize, Ntuthuko R.; Heitkönig, Ignas M.A.; Scogings, Peter F.; Dziba, Luthando E.; Prins, Herbert H.T.; de Boer, Willem F.
- Applied animal behaviour science 2015 v.169 pp. 33-37
- animal behavior; browsing; dry season; forage quality; foraging; goats; grasses; grazing; herbaceous plants; herbivores; ingestion; leaves; neutralization; polyethylene glycol; proanthocyanidins; savannas; tannins; trees; wet season; woody plants
- ... Tannin concentrations fluctuate spatially and temporally within and among plant species, with consequences for forage quality of herbivores. The extent to which these fluctuations influence foraging activities of goats is not fully understood. While accounting for the effects of the time of the day and season, we tested the hypothesis that goats exposed to high levels of condensed tannins (i) spen ...
- Prebble, Jennifer L.; Langford, Fritha M.; Shaw, Darren J.; Meredith, Anna L.
- Applied animal behaviour science 2015 v.169 pp. 86-92
- abnormal behavior; abnormal development; animal behavior; diet; forage; grazing; hay; posture; rabbits
- ... Dietary composition and presentation impacts on the behaviour of animals, and failure to provide a suitable diet can lead to reduced welfare through the development of poor health, the inability to express normal behaviours and the development of abnormal behaviours. This study assessed the effects of two commonly fed pet rabbit diets (extruded nuggets with hay (EH) and muesli with hay (MH)) along ...