Jump to Main Content
- Baxter, Emma M.; Adeleye, Oluwagbemiga O.; Jack, Mhairi C.; Farish, Marianne; Ison, Sarah H.; Edwards, Sandra A.
- Applied animal behaviour science 2015 v.169 pp. 9-16
- animal behavior; farrowing; lactation; maternal behavior; models; mortality; nesting sites; nests; piglets; sows; temperature
- ... Piglet survival relies on interactive influences of the sow, her piglets and their environment. There are a number of design challenges in a loose-housed farrowing and lactation system to optimise this dynamic, including achieving farrowing in the desired location (i.e. a protected nest area) and minimising crushings. The PigSAFE (Piglet and Sow Alternative Farrowing Environment) pen was developed ...
- Gutmann, Anke Kristina; Špinka, Marek; Winckler, Christoph
- Applied animal behaviour science 2015 v.169 pp. 1-8
- Holstein; adults; dairy cows; dairy herds; energy; grooming (animal behavior); lactation; principal component analysis; social behavior; social environment; youth
- ... Group is an essential resource for gregarious animals. Dairy cows are however frequently (re-)grouped according to productivity and reproductive state leading to an unstable social environment for the animals. The present study aimed at investigating whether cows maintain social relationships in a dynamic group. Therefore we analysed whether more familiar cows spend more time in close proximity, a ...